Thursday, November 20, 2008

11/20/08
I am going to attempt to pass along some information that I have gleaned from my on-going research into making bicycles more accessible and useful to the average person. I am not a hard core bicyclist that knows everything about bikes. To the contrary, I have never raced bikes, worked in a bike shop or gone on group rides. I just like using my bike for everyday uses. My bikes are not top of the line bikes, in fact I have only bought one bike new, back in 1978. I am 53 years old, so obviously I am not advocating from a testosterone induced euphoria.
About a year ago I got back into bicycles, after a long hiatus. I find that since I began biking again, I still weigh the same but fit a smaller waist size that I haven't seen for about 10 years. I have less aches and pains when I get up in the morning and have better muscle tone. My back which has been a problem for years, is no longer is a problem. Statistically, I should have lowered my risk of heart problems, Alzheimer's disease and other health problems.
I use my bike, as you will see in future photos, for going on errands, visiting, groceries, and even hauling pretty good loads of construction tools. I have and will continue to try products that help the average person use their bike for utility. These are generally refered to as 'Utility Bikes' or 'Cargo Bikes'. When I use the phrase, Utility Bike, it will usually refer to a normal bike that is being used as an all around useful bike. Cargo Bike will usually refer to a bike that has been modified or built in some way to increase its ability to haul loads.

No comments:

Post a Comment